Search Engine Optimization Tips
In a Hurry? Here’s a quick set of instructions.
Step 1: Build Your Site (if you haven’t already)
- You need your own domain name. Sorry, MySpace is not search engine friendly.
- Use simple text-based navigation. Images are OK, but not ideal.
- There should be room for a heading and at least 500 characters (ideally more) of text on your homepage.
Step 2: Choose Target Keyphrases
- Your main target keyphrase should be your town/city’s name, followed by the phrase “guitar lessons.”
Example: “Chicago guitar lessons”
- Your secondary target keyphrase should use the word “teacher” instead of “lessons.”
Example: “Chicago guitar teacher”
Step 3: Tweak Your Site
- Change your title tag to “(business name) | (main target keyphrse)”
Example: “Heartwood Guitar Instruction | Seattle Guitar Lessons”
- Add a snappy meta description
Example: <meta name="description" content="Jenny Hendrix offers the finest guitar lessons in Chicago.">
- Add an <h1> heading near the top of your website that includes your primary target keyphrase.
Example: <h1>Looking for Seattle guitar lessons?</h1>
- Add your primary and secondary target keyphrases to the body text in your homepage. Make it look natural–you can change the word order if you have to.
Step 4: Sign up with Google Local Business
- Be thorough. When filling out the “Categories” form, include all categories relevant to guitar teaching.
Step 5: Build Inbound Links
- Aquire inbound links any way you can. When you have influence over the anchor text, use your main or secondary target keyphrase.
Continue to Instructions on Building Your Site